The following has been submitted by the Vernon Parish School Board to be shared with the community.
Vernon Parish School Board FAQ’s
How long will VPSB schools be closed?
- Under the direction of Governor John Bel Edwards, all Louisiana schools are to be closed until April 13th. This is an ever-changing situation, so we will keep you updated on any changes.
Are VPSB schools providing meals to students during school closures?
- The Vernon Parish School System will begin serving lunches to 3-18-year olds (school age students) on Monday, March 23, 2020 until further notice. Lunches will be of a Grab and Go style (sack lunch). Lunches can be picked up at schools from 11 am to 12:30 pm daily. Students must be present to receive their lunches. Parents/other responsible adults must be with elementary students (4th grade and below) to receive lunches. This food service program will be offered daily Monday through Thursday. See the VPSB website for a list of sites.
Will VPSB students have to make up the days missed due to school closures?
- At this time, the 63,720-minute yearly requirement, has been suspended. Therefore, we will not be required to make up days missed during our closure.
Will VPSB graduations continue as planned?
- At this time, schools in Vernon Parish will resume on April 13th and graduation ceremony dates and times will be announced.
If I have a question about something that deals with a specific school activity, who do I contact?
- School administrative teams are at schools 7:30 AM-1:30 PM Monday-Thursday. It is best to contact the school directly concerning activities.
Will LEAP tests be postponed?
- The Louisiana Department of Education is providing school districts with updates to LEAP testing. Currently, the guidance states that the Spring 2020 assessment window for grades 3-8 LEAP 2025 will begin no earlier than April 27, and the high school testing window has not been adjusted. If updates arise, we will update this information.
Will the National ACT scheduled for April 4 be happening?
- The National April 4th test has been rescheduled to June 13, 2020.
What are the guidelines concerning online resources?
- Online learning will be supplemental and based on skills already taught or skills that are foundations of learning.
- VPSB will post resources for students on the VPSB website and update as new resources become available.
- VPSB students will have access to online resources through their CLEVER account.
- If a student does not have their CLEVER account information, please contact the school or their teacher.
- For students that do not access to the internet, packets will be available at the schools or at school lunch sites for pickup beginning Monday, March 23rd.
Will employees be paid?
- Payroll dates and deadlines will continue as previously published. They have not been affected. All permanent employees will continue to receive their regular pay during this time.
How does this time off affect seniors?
- We know that many of our families are worried about their senior students. The LDOE has not provided any guidance on seniors being affected by the closure at this time. We will update as information becomes available. We will continue to prepare our seniors taking AP classes and the ACT test with online support.
What is the status of VPSB events during this closure?
- Proms, fundraisers, and other VPSB events scheduled before April 13, 2020, will need to be officially rescheduled or cancelled.
What does VPSB plan to do about the Spring Break Schedule?
- The official school calendar for 2019-2020 has not been changed at this point. If there is a change, we will update this information.
What is the status of the Dual Enrollment Program?
- For students currently enroll in in Dual Enrollment Course offerings relative to the college credit portion, there are 3 options:
- An opportunity to complete the coursework during this academic year
- Transition the course status to “in-progress” and complete by August 31, 2020 (if in-progress is selected, the course will end in a final grade)
- Withdraw from the course via an “Administrative Withdrawal” (nothing posted to the official college transcript.
For more information, please contact your school during the closure business hours. School administrative teams are at schools 7:30 AM-1:30 PM Monday-Thursday.