The Vernon Parish School Board met this morning at 10:00 in the School Board building.
The first item added to the agenda for Tuesday's regularly scheduled meeting is a resolution supporting the construction of I49 – the Gulf Coast Strategic Highway as requested by U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy.
The School Board Recognized the support from local businesses for each of the 18 schools in Vernon Parish under the Partners in Education Program.
Policy updates added to Tuesday's agenda include:
- the creation of a special education advisory council no later than January 2020,
- Behavioral Health Services for Students in Schools allowing mental health professionals to meet students at the school during school hours;
- and for the district to allow Service Animals in schools.
Other laws discussed but not added to the agenda include:
- Act 93 that states school districts must provide two hours of Suicide Prevention in-service training to faculty and staff annually and suicide hot line phone numbers must be printed on student ID cards,
- the National Motto, “In God We Trust” must be displayed in every school and the history of it must be taught by 5th grade.
- Act 154 requires personal financial management to be taught in public schools.
It was also mentioned that a board of principals is working to align student fees throughout the district.
The Finance committee added a request for approval of the Consolidated and General Fund Budgets.
Salary and Personnel added a request to add a promotional performance contract for the Assistant Principal at Rosepine High School.