The Vernon Parish School Board met in the meeting room in the School Board building at 10:00 a.m. Thursday, January 9, 2020, to set the agenda for the regularly scheduled meeting on Tuesday.
Board member Doug Brandon was absent.
The Board recognized Teachers of the Year for Vernon Parish at each level, with the honorees introduced by Carolyn Mosely and the principals of their schools.
- Elementary Teacher of the Year is Jessica Deon from Rosepine Elementary.
- Middle School Teacher of the Year is Sabri Gomez from Rosepine Middle School. he
- High School teacher of the year is Rhonda Hampton from Simpson High School.
The State will select semi-finalists in April.
Four policy modifications were introduced along with one new policy:
- the tax/bond election policy was amended to require the addition of the costs of any election called by the school board;
- the disaster recovery plan was amended to document the backup of all devices, anti virus programs, etc. in the event the district servers are attacked;
- the sexual harassment policy was amended to adjust the description of the investigation, both the accuser and the aggressor must participate in the investigation, disciplinary action should the accusation prove to be false and notification of the accuser to seek a claim outside of the school district regardless of the district investigation; and
- the board added the first Tuesday following the first Monday in November as an election day holiday due to polling locations in schools (as applicable).
The meeting ended with the passing of the gavel from the prior Board President Vernon L. Travis, Jr. to the newly elected President, Shad Stewart.
The next board meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, January 14, 2020, in the School Board conference room.