The Vernon Parish Police Jury met at 10:00 a.m. Monday, August 19, 2019, in the Policy Jury Building. All members were present.
The Capital Properties Committee presented a recommendation that the Jury advertise for proposals to lease Vernon Lake Spillway Park. This would be with the intention of upgrading or adding RV parking, swimming locations and creating a safe, friendly environment for guests. The lease would be for no longer than 10 years.
The permit and claims committee recommend the Jury approve a Class B liquor license application received from the Dollar General Store located at 16657 Nolan Trace.
There will be a public hearing on Monday September 16, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. during the regularly scheduled Police Jury meeting to hear public input on a proposed ordinance to abandon parish line road District 6, Ward 6, beginning at Highway 465 extending north for about 2.5 miles in its entirety.
The Jury voted to adopt
- a resolution accepting the 4th amended Cooperative Endeavor Agreement between the State of Louisiana, Facility Planning and Control and the Vernon Parish Police Jury for Pickering High School Parking Lot Planned construction;
- to adopt a resolution accepting the 1st Amended Cooperative Endeavor Agreement between the State of Louisiana, Facility Planning and Control and the Jury for rehabilitation of various streets;
- to accept the 4th Amended Cooperative Endeavor Agreement between the State of Louisiana, Facility Planning and Control and the Vernon Parish Police Jury for the Vernon/Fort Polk thoroughfare Electrical Power Extension and Utilities including generators;
- a resolution to support the 2020 US Census, and
- create a Pitkin Recreational District.
The Jury will hold an election in South Vernon Parish Waterworks District #1 on Saturday, November 16, 2019 to authorize the levy of a special tax – which is a renewal.
The Jury approved motions to adopt resolutions to file application with the LA Department of Transportation and Development for formula grant for rural areas and a grant for a bus and facility program.
The Jury also adopted a resolution allowing the president to execute grant documents between the Vernon Parish Police Jury and he Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness for State Homeland Security Grant and an Emergency Management Performance Grant for Fiscal Year 2019.