The DeRidder City Council met Monday, March 9, 2020 at 5:30 p.m. with all members present.
The Ladies of Esther awarded Mayor Misty Clanton and Officer Amanda Westmoreland with the DeRidder Police Department the 2020 Esther Award. Mayor Clanton for being the first elected female mayor of the City of DeRidder and for both of their special services to the community and making a difference in the lives of the many people they touch through their work. The Awards Ceremony will be held on April 11 at the First United Pentecostal Church in DeRidder.
Adam Adams, Onscene Coordinator with the EPA addressed the council regarding the Superfund Site at American Creosote. His team has started the soil sampling and identified three source material areas: a water separator, a retort house and a waste pit. In cooperation with LDEQ and the Louisiana Department of Health they will work to re-mediate the area and determine how deep the removal process needs to go, they will start at 2 feet in the pond. This part of the process is expected to last 9-10 weeks.
The council passed 10 introductions
- 5 related to the transportation system,
- 2 for police department records management,
and 1 each for
- the North Street Bridge Project,
- the Elm Street Lift Station and an
- Emergency Ordinance for the Elm Street Sewer Rehabilitation.
With the exception of the Emergency Ordinance that was adopted last night, all of the introductions will have public hearings in the regularly scheduled meeting on March 23, 2020.
There were 3 public hearings held and ordinances passed:
- one with Meditrans for non emergency medical transportation,
- one with Deridder Baseball and Softball, Inc regarding use of the West Park Fields for the 2020 baseball season, and
- one with AquanetteLLC for operating the West Park Swimming Pool for the 2020 summer season.
The meeting adjourned. The next meeting will be March 23, 2020 in the DeRidder City Hall Council Chamber at 5:30 pm.