Take the 2020 Census at http://My2020Census.Gov. The Census drives funding for programs that are vital to keep our state running. For the next 10 years, the federal government will rely on the information collected in 2020 to help guide distribution of approximately $1.5 trillion in annual spending across 316 federal programs. These programs include:
- direct student loans
- highway construction grants
- low income tax credits and loans
- even adoption assistance programs
Census numbers also help fund local programs:
- Title I Grants to Local Education Agencies, which provide financial assistance to schools and school districts with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet state academic standards.
- Community Development Block Grants Entitlement Program, which provides annual grants to cities and counties with sufficient populations (over 50,000 for cities and over 200,000 for counties) to help provide decent housing and suitable living conditions, and to expand economic opportunities, primarily for people with low and moderate income.
- Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act Programs for Dislocated Workers, Adults, and Youths, which provide financial support for employment and training services including job searching, career counseling, placement assistance, and relocation assistance.
In addition, the numbers help determine boundaries for state legislative and congressional districts.
The 2020 Census is available online at http://My2020Census.Gov. You can also call 1-844-330-2020 to get more information or request a form by mail. It is easy, safe, and confidential. No personal information is asked.
Due to COVID-19, the self-response dates have been extended. If you have not filed online ahead of time the non-response follow-up will begin in August and end October 31st.
- Occurs Saturday, October 31st, 2020 — all day
- The Latest COVID-19 Information
- Multi-million dollar plan for new Bossier library advances
- Kylie Jenner: My public persona is a character
- Jada Pinkett Smith opens up on strictly parenting her daughter: 'I needed her to be strong'
- Chrissy Teigen asked John Legend to take photos of her in hospital after pregnancy loss
- Jesse Tyler Ferguson wants a second child
- Arklatex politics; petitions and Amendment 7
- Sam Smith had hair transplant surgery: 'I don't have anything to hide'
- Four Arrests Made in COVID-19 Fraud Investigation
- Shreveport man arrested for fatally shooting cousin in the head
- VPSO Arrest Report October 21-22, 2020
- DeRidder Police Investigating Burglary at Thrifty Way Pharmacy
- SPD investigating deadly late night shooting
- LPD Arrest Report - October 16-22, 2020
- Three Louisiana Residents Included in Prostitution Sting by Beaumont Police
- Principal identifies Coushatta teen killed in shooting
- VPSO Arrest Report October 23 - 25, 2020
- Prince Harry: 'I had no idea unconscious bias existed'
Success! An email has been sent to with a link to confirm list signup.
Error! There was an error processing your request.
Stay in the loop on church events in West Central Louisiana.
A recap of the most pertinent stories of the week - delivered straight to your inbox!
Arts & Entertainment
Would you like to receive our daily news? Signup today!